Sports&fun at the Cologne Rhein-meadows.
You won't get bored so quickly in Cologne's grassland areas. Here you can play football undisturbed, enjoy cosy picnics or be physically active and join the many joggers. Table tennis, table football and TV in the hostel will keep you entertained even if the weather is bad. In the evening, parents or caregivers can relax over a glass of wine in the hotel bar.
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
- Table football
- Pinball machine
- Barbecue area
- Disco room
- Table tennis - inside and outside
- Internet terminals
- Basketball hoops
- Great meadows
Leisure facilities in the area
The cathedral, the town hall and the city walls - Cologne's historical sights are a must when you visit the cathedral city. But besides that, Cologne has a lot to offer: the city's famous chocolate museum is especially popular with families and schools. Learn all about the sweet seduction - including some tasting! But a visit to Cologne Zoo is also fun for everyone. Only about 1 km from the City Youth Hostel, its many animal houses, enclosures and large aquarium make it a great destination in all kinds of weather. By the way, entrance to the zoo is included in our competitive economy package for families "Köln tierisch". If you have had enough of museums and attractions, you can shop until you drop in Cologne with its inexhaustible supply of shops or simply chill out over a coffee or ice cream with views of the Rhine.
- Aiming high: the cathedral and other historical buildings (e.g. the town hall, the Roman Tower) (3.5 km)
- Romans, sports and chocolate: Roman-Germanic Museum, Museum Ludwig for Contemporary Art, Chocolate Museum, German Sports & Olympics Museum (3.5 km)
- Culture galore: Opera House, Philharmonic Hall, Cologne Theatre (3.5 km)
- Coral reefs and elephants: Cologne Zoo with Flora Park and Aquarium (1 km)
- TV live: Visit to a TV show
- Naturally green: Rheinpark (4.5 km)
- Modern marketplace: Messe Deutz exhibition centre (4.5 km)
- Shopping precinct: Hohe Straße and Schildergasse (3.5 km)
- Odysseum: Knowledge Adventure Park for the whole family
- Rheinpark: high ropes course, mini golf, bowling, inline skating track
- Riehler flood plains with playgrounds, picnic and area for playing football
- Cable car over the Rhine between the Rhein Park and the zoo
- Live sporting events e.g. Bundesliga matches, ice hockey
Leisure facilities in the region
With its attractions, historical sights and shopping streets, Cologne itself has a lot to offer - but a trip to the surrounding region is also worthwhile. In the Bergisches Land and the Eifel National Park, you can enjoy eventful trips and long walks through the countryside, while the castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust are beautifully preserved masterpieces of the glorious rococo period. Fun and rollercoaster action for the whole family is what a trip to "Phantasialand" promises visitors - entrance included in the "Cologne phantastisch" package for families.
Need help with the planning? Just contact our programme agency "Köln Aktiv" ("Cologne active") - the team will be happy to put together your own individual Cologne experience programme.
- Stars close-up: Phantasialand theme park (25 km)
- Fun splash: Aqualand adventure pool (12 km)
- Search for baroque clues: Castle Augustusburg
- Fire and water: Bergisches Land region
- National Park and maars (volcanic crater lakes): the Eifel
- Taking to the water: Panoramic Rhine tours (3,5 km)
- Bonn: House of German History, Museum Koenig
- Eifel National Park and maars
- Königswinter: Drachenfels, Sea Life
- Rhine cruise to Königswinter, then with the rack-and-pinion railway to the Drachenfels